Comments from my life, family, and projects I enjoy.

Saturday, December 12, 2009

Electrolysis results






I had a chance to pull a couple of the legs from the soup and snap some photos. Once the parts are removed to dry they will flash over with a light coating of surface rust almost immediately. The rusted areas will be coated in a flakey black oxide. I allow the parts to air dry, knock off the surface rust and black oxide with a wire cup on my side grinder and then scrub the parts down thouroughly with a brown 3M finishing pad and some hot soapy water. I then towel them dry and set in a warm oven or in a closed warm car in the sunshine. This results in a part that is free from any rust and grime and is ready for primer. I will then fill any of the small defects left from welding closed the holes that were drilled in the piece. Sometimes I use the kitchen oven to process parts. SHHH! Don't tell Becky.

2 comments:

Becky said...

BECKY KNOWS! LOL... I never know what he will stick in my oven but I know that it WILL happen. Looking at the picture though tells me that it's time to clean the oven again... YEEK!

Scott said...

Well, I have to admit you are a most understanding Wife that overlooks a great deal of my transgressions.

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Popular Posts

Followers

About Me

My photo
Midlands of South Carolina, United States
Husband, Father, Quality Engineer, Electronics Professional, and tinkerer. Facinated by old technology and well made old tools. Old iron is good.