Comments from my life, family, and projects I enjoy.

Thursday, December 24, 2009

Nice Legs!




The weather has cooperated nicely the last few days, so I was able to spend a little time out in the shop. Two more of the legs have been de-rusted and the final leg is in the bath as I type adding it's rust to the soup. Three of the 4 legs have been primed with etching primer and I used some body filler to fill the grinding marks left from welding and grinding smooth the holes previous owners have drilled in the legs.


I was also able to work a little on my MBF Frankensaw project. By using the yoke and roller-head assembly from a model 925 I can use the frame 236 motor I am salvaging from a model 7770 on my little MBF. I will save the frame and column mount from the 7770 for another project, and will part out the rest of the saw. Today I separated the roller-head from the yoke. The difficult part of this piece is removing the set screw pin that locks the king bolt in place. The pin is hardened steel and the yoke is aluminum. Over the years the pin freezes to the aluminum due to galvanic corrosion. I have been soaking the threads in PB Blaster for about a week and was able to back the pin out with the application of a little heat from my propane torch. I really got lucky with this one. I have had problems with others where the head of the screw would snap off leaving me no choice but to pay a machinist to remove the pin. I also have several other project waiting for my attention: Gravely tractor repairs, replace the chipbreaker on my planer, finish my welding table and tune up my jointer. There are also several other projects in the queue, but I will save that for another time. I don't want to overwealm myself and shutdown. I also have an update on cost for some additional parts and supplies, but I think I will go over that tomorrow. I hope you all have a Merry Christmas. I am so thankful for my wonderful family as we gather to celebrate the holidays.

No comments:

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Popular Posts

Followers

About Me

My photo
Midlands of South Carolina, United States
Husband, Father, Quality Engineer, Electronics Professional, and tinkerer. Facinated by old technology and well made old tools. Old iron is good.