Comments from my life, family, and projects I enjoy.

Saturday, December 5, 2009

A Nice Weekend Off to Relax and Play

Well, it's been a beautiful sunny day here in the Midlands of SC. I went up on the roof and patched a small area around the chimney that has started leaking. I found that some of the old caulking had dried and pulled away from the flashing, so I sealed it up with the last of some old roofing cement I bought many years ago. It's sort of ugly, but I have never had to re-do any repairs where I used the old roofing cement. It's basically a black tarry asphalt emulsion with some fibre content to give it some additional strength. I placed another of the DeWalt GR saw legs in the de-rusting bath and then did some shopping. I have purchased the finishing supplies I will need to re-paint this saw. I settled on a custom color that matches the old Oliver Machinery Teal that was used in the 1960's. I purchased the paint and the compatible primer from Sherwin-Williams. The smallest quantity available was in gallon cans, so I'm sure there will be additional machines painted Oliver teal from my shop. The paint is Sher-Kem High Gloss enamel and the primer is Kem-Flash primer. I also purchased a gallon of reducer, sandpapers, filler, and sanding primer fillers. Total for the paints and finishing supplies comes to $146.98. Now I know you can get a perfectly acceptable finish for much less with rattle cans, but I really want this machine to look like a professional restoration. The total is now $503.28. The cost starts to add up fast once you start counting every $5 to $35 dollar purchase. That's all for now.

No comments:

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Popular Posts

Followers

About Me

My photo
Midlands of South Carolina, United States
Husband, Father, Quality Engineer, Electronics Professional, and tinkerer. Facinated by old technology and well made old tools. Old iron is good.