Comments from my life, family, and projects I enjoy.

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Parts for a rotary Phase Converter

This evening I picked up a brand new 5HP 3PH motor to use in the construction of a rotary phase converter. This will give me 3 Phase capability in the shop so I can run the big radial saw or any other 3 phase machines that may come my way... hehe hehe. I ran a wanted ad on craig's list and picked up this motor for only $40.00. Since I will use the phase converter on multiple machines, I will not be adding it to the restoration cost of the saw. I will add that I picked up a rattle can of etching primer and that will be added to the cost of the saw refurb. Etching primer from Advance Auto Parts, $6.30 including tax. My total saw investment thus far is $356.30. I also pulled the first saw frame legs from the electrolysis bath. It is paint and rust free, but coated with a black oxide residue. I need to clean it up with a green pad and water and check to see how bad the rust pitting is at the bottom of the leg. I will post some more pics once I get a chance. I may not get a chance to get back on this project for a few days due to a motherboard failure on my wifes desktop. This shouldn't be too bad since I have another MB on hand and her linux system will most likely handle it with little trouble.

No comments:

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Popular Posts

Followers

About Me

My photo
Midlands of South Carolina, United States
Husband, Father, Quality Engineer, Electronics Professional, and tinkerer. Facinated by old technology and well made old tools. Old iron is good.