Comments from my life, family, and projects I enjoy.

Friday, February 12, 2010

Cold and Snow



The weather remains cold and now it is snowing. Snow is a rare occurrence in SC and few people know how to drive in it, so we are staying indoors. Progress on the GR radial saw has slowed to a crawl due to the cold weather. My shop is not heated so it is rather uncomfortable to work on the saw. I was able to deliver the thrust cap, bearings, elevation screw and handle to the machine shop for modification of the thrust cap to work with the new bearings. I should have those back next week.

I have been able to work on some small indoor projects. I just finished rebuilding a DoAll Selectron magnetic chuck controller. This was previously used in a corrosive environment, So the biggest challenge was removing rusty frozen hardware. All the components under the tube sockets were corroded to the point of falling apart and the rheostat was shot. I replaced the tube sockets, all components under the tube sockets, the rheostat, both toggle switches and the output capacitor. It looks a little rough, but will probably work well for another 30 years.

My employment situation is still not where I would like. I am still applying like crazy, but only get a few bites. Hopefully something will turn up soon.

No comments:

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Popular Posts

Followers

About Me

My photo
Midlands of South Carolina, United States
Husband, Father, Quality Engineer, Electronics Professional, and tinkerer. Facinated by old technology and well made old tools. Old iron is good.