Comments from my life, family, and projects I enjoy.

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Trash Pickings

Today while driving to the riverwalk for some well deserved recreation I spotted one of those cheap pedestal fans out by the road for trash pick-up. These are the el-cheapo type that are frequently offered by the discount retailers. I grabbed it up and took it home. Typical of these cheap Chinese fans, the motor bearings are a simple sleeve bearing. I don't even think they are bronze. Of course the rotor would barely turn. I pulled the little motor apart, chucked the rotor in my drill press and polished the shaft where the bearings ride. I then lubed the shaft with some light oil and put everything back together. Works like a champ and even came with a remote.
video

No comments:

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Popular Posts

Followers

About Me

My photo
Midlands of South Carolina, United States
Husband, Father, Quality Engineer, Electronics Professional, and tinkerer. Facinated by old technology and well made old tools. Old iron is good.