Comments from my life, family, and projects I enjoy.

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Accidental Garlic Farmer



A few years ago we noticed some garlic plants growing adjacent to our garden. I don't know how they got there, maybe the previous owners had planted them. These were a hard-neck variety, so I don't think these were accidentally planted by someone throwing out some cloves from the grocery store. Anyway, I think it was 3 plants total, so I dug them up and the bulbs were HUGE! Not knowing anything about growing or harvesting garlic, I managed to dry the plants and we started using the cloves in the kitchen. That fall I had some cloves left over, so I planted them out in the garden and they thrived. The next spring. I had plenty of wonderful hard-neck plants to harvest. I have been hooked on growing garlic ever since. This past fall I planted some soft-neck cloves from the grocery store along with my usual hard-neck variety. They also thrived. I have already harvested most of my little crop, but it is the best harvest ever from my little plot. Becky helped me braid the leaves; well, she braided all of them, and they are hanging in the shed to dry. I found a really nice book on the subject in the library and have been thoroughly enjoying it.

1 comment:

Becky said...

HINT!!!! Scott would LOVE to OWN this book if anyone is looking for future gift ideas.

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Popular Posts

Followers

About Me

My photo
Midlands of South Carolina, United States
Husband, Father, Quality Engineer, Electronics Professional, and tinkerer. Facinated by old technology and well made old tools. Old iron is good.