Comments from my life, family, and projects I enjoy.

Saturday, September 10, 2011

Random Thing In No Particular Order

I've had a folder with some photo's I would like to share. Many of them are not related, but I think I will throw them all into one post. So get ready. This will be random and I will just jump from topic to topic.

WARNING: THE FOLLOWING PHOTO WILL CONTAIN ROADKILL WILDLIFE!

Back in the spring of this year I spotted something odd on the side of the highway while going to work. At first I thought it was a stuffed animal, but a second look revealed what looked like a large cat. I looped around and stopped to take a closer look. It was an adult female bobcat. She was hit on a section of interstate that passes through some farmland adjacent to the Congaree river. I hated to see she was killed by the traffic, but felt lucky to have seen such a beautiful creature up close. It is my understanding that these animals have adapted well to living close to humans and are sometimes spotted in urban areas after dark. I thought this was interesting and unusual enough to post on the blog and share with others. I hope you find it interesting as well.



Now for something of beauty. Fall is just around the corner in our part of the world, and I have noticed many of the insects of summer are near the end of their life cycle and are slowing down in their final days. This afternoon I spotted an almost perfect butterfly in the back yard. It even allowed me to get close and take some snapshots.



I have also been wanting to talk about some kitchen knives I like to use. My favorite knives are what some people would call "those ugly old knives". I'm sure many of you may recall similar knives in the kitchens of an elderly Aunt or your Grandma's kitchen drawer. If you were lucky enough to inherit some and smart enough not to toss them out, then you probably know why they are my favorites. These old high carbon steel knives are easy to sharpen and take a wonderful edge. The downside is, they will rust if not properly cared for. That means you can't run them through the dishwasher. They must be hand washed and dried before putting them away. I know that most people prefer the modern stainless steel knives that are shiny and can go through the dishwasher, but I just don't like them. Stainless is hard to sharpen and I can never get an acceptable edge. With the old high carbon steel knives, all I have to do to get a fresh sharp edge is about three strokes on each side of the blade across a sharpening steel and the blade is sharp. Here is a photo of my "old ugly knives". A couple I purchased and the others were made by my Grandfather. His favorite material for knife blades was old saw blades. I hope to pass these on to my son, and I hope he learns to cherish them as much as I do.


1 comment:

Becky said...

Hey... When are you going to post again? Miss reading from YOU.

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Popular Posts

Followers

About Me

My photo
Midlands of South Carolina, United States
Husband, Father, Quality Engineer, Electronics Professional, and tinkerer. Facinated by old technology and well made old tools. Old iron is good.