Comments from my life, family, and projects I enjoy.

Sunday, June 9, 2013

A Trip to the Upstate

Saturday we took a short trip to the upstate to visit the in-laws. Lucky for me I had a chance to take some photos. Early in the afternoon I had a chance to slip off and explore an area of their property that had recently been logged. I only had my cellphone for pics, so they aren't the best, but I think they are still worth sharing.

The first thing that caught my eye was a turtle shell. Upon closer examination, I spotted what looked like some large cat prints. Bobcat are common in the area so I wonder if that is what left the prints.



I also captured some interesting patterns in the mud left by some insects. Be sure to zoom in to see the details on the one below.


Insect Tracks

   
Much to my delight, I spotted a wild turkey up on the ridge. I was able to get within about 25 feet of this hen. It wasn't until I had taken several shots that I noticed she had 5 chicks following along close behind, hiding in the brush. They blended in so well with the brush that they were almost impossible to see. Here are 4 of the best shots







On the way home we stopped in Jonesville to snap a few pics. Jonesville is fairly typical of the little whistle-stop towns that you see in the south. Below are some pics of some old building along the tracks that caught my eye.










Finally, we stopped along the highway, just outside of Lockhart to look at some old fire engines a collector has stored in a shed. I think these are a 34 Ford, 46 Ford, and a 49 Mack. I especially like the HUGE spotlights on the 46 Ford and the Mack. I also like that the 34 Ford and the Mack are open cab models. So cool to see the old iron.







4 comments:

Buttons said...

Oh I love the old barns and the old trucks. Great shots. I ran into a flock of Turkeys the other day they took off flying I bet they were as scared as me:)

Becky said...

It was so much fun spending the day with you.

Amelia Ireton said...

it has amazing photos , your blog , thank you for sharing , and Becky has a wonderful husband , she is so wonderful xxx Amelia

Scott said...

Thanks to all of you for your comments. Becky and I love to travel the back roads to see what we can discover. For us the trip is the destination. We have both made so many wonderful online friends through our blogs

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Popular Posts

Followers

About Me

My photo
Midlands of South Carolina, United States
Husband, Father, Quality Engineer, Electronics Professional, and tinkerer. Facinated by old technology and well made old tools. Old iron is good.